2008/07/06

On Independence Day

ところで、日本って何年前に建国したんでしたっけ。

Yesterday, 4th of July, was Independence Day of America. Happy birthday America, now you are 232 years old.

On this memorial day, I went to the Hatch Shell Memorial to see Boston Pops and fireworks with my English class's friends. Unfortunately, since we didn't have tickets, we couldn't enter the hall. So we, as many did, sit on the grass, listening to the music and talks. The program was going smoothly. And there came the National Anthem. Then, surprisingly, almost all of the people, except us (international students), stood up. Although they didn't sing in loud voices, it was obvious for me that they cherished the song.

In this country, in comparison with Japan, people put much emphasis on patriotism. Some surveys revealed this tendency. For example, to the question asking "Of course, we all hope that there will not be another war, but if it were to come to that, would you be willing to fight for your country?," 72.7% of American answered "Yes," whereas 25.1% of Japanese answered yes. (World Values Survey, U.S. 1999, Japan 2000) In the recent presidential race too, the candidates' patriotism became one of the controversial issues. Because Obama seemed less patriotic than McCain. Poor patriotism may be associated with weak commitment to the country.

After WWII, in Japan, patriotism has always been an evil. It has been a symbol of war propensity. We have been told not to be patriotic. As a result, for many Japanese, National Foundation Day is just an ordinary holiday. We don't gather to celebrate, nor launch fireworks. But I don't think this custom is wrong, because it is not the issue of right or wrong. This is the way we are. Some says that the lack of patriotism led our loss of confidence. But is it true that patriotism is the necessity to be confident? Did we surely lose our confidence? Weren't we full of confidence when our economy prospered in the 80's - the post WWII era?

Honestly speaking, I didn't remember the Japan's National Foundation Day. I knew it yesterday, on Independence Day of America. Japan was formed on 11st of February. What year??? Yes, it was 660 B.C.!!! Incredible. Japan is 2,268 years old. Though it is said that the birth is based on ancient myths:-)

2 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Heyyo! now I found your blog.
Are you expecting us towrite in english or japanese? Should you choose one if you want readers to come back here... I think so from my experience...

about 4th of july, day I am disappointed why you didn't sing the anthem!!!!?????? Is your A Cappella blood gone??? I stood up and sung (and, of course in the lower part as usual)! Normal international students don't need to do, but we do!

Actually I am just kidding! Hope you keep on writing! I have learned something from this.

t さんのコメント...

あ、コメントは日本語でいいですよ!

But I'll continue to write in English, because I have to enhance my English writing ability. And, I do not want to be googled by anonymous Japanese.

As for the National Anthem, I'm sorry:-) Instead, I have a special present to those who love acappella.