2008/07/02

Harsh Reality

In Jamaica Plain, there are few or several murders every year. In Roxbury, just one mile away from my house, there are many... Although the number of crimes are declining for long-term perspective, we should not be off our guard.

Last night, a 7-year-old kid and other two men got shot in thug crossfire at Roxbury. Fortunately, all the victims are expected to survive.

Now the shadow of the incident lay across my mind... Blessed with peaceful neighborhoods in Japan, I had never sensed imminent danger in every day life. Though I've never witnessed any crime here, I hear gunshot-like sounds almost every night...

One of the reasons why I choose Boston, not Ann Arbor, was to feel American social disparities in daily life. For me, to become a public health professional, it was necessity. Ann Arbor was too peaceful. But as for this aim, I'm already fed up. As some men of experience advised me, I must invest in security. I have to find next place to stay...

2 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Tok,you should move to another place.
You can ask your school to get better one.
At first,I think you are sensitive about new life and surroundings. but,it must be wrong.

t さんのコメント...

Thank you for your concern, qui. I'll move before September if I could find better one.