2008/08/28

Orientation Begins

月曜から始まったオリエンテーション、結構圧巻です。

Japanese colleges can change, if they truly notice the importance of “beginning.”

In my university, the orientation programs started this week. And I am really surprised by the well-considered programs. I can feel that our university truly recognizes the significance of the start.

Expectations
Our school repeatedly express that they are really expecting for the students. As we hear their anticipations over and over again, whether true or not, we start to believe that we are carefully “chosen”, and every student has a “meaning” to attend the school. Our university effectively makes use of “The Pygmalion Effect.” Consequently, we are motivated from the beginning.

Networking
They are truly committed to connect each student or students and faculty. Through various group works, games or social events, they give us numerous chances of networking. We are forced to talk to each other. We cannot continue to flock together with particular someone through the events. Accordingly, each of us becomes a “hub”. From Monday to today, I got to know, at least, 20-30 students. Though my friends are just 30, my friends’ friends would cover all the new students.

Safety Nets
They offer an assortment of safety nets so that we can set off smoothly. We have introductory workshops in Case Method, Math, Accounting, Time Management, Writing, Group Work, Statistics and US Health Systems. I was astonished by a fact that a lecturer, in Math Review, started the review from “Rounding(四捨五入)!” Well, we Japanese don’t need to be pessimistic about the decline in the academic ability of college students: at least math review in Japan starts from “junior high” school level, not “elementary”.

Future Visions
Though we just started to attend the school, they provide opportunities to think about “after graduation.” We had a session to discuss and imagine future responsibilities of our study areas. In addition, today, 10 alumni came to the school to have round tables. To think about an end at the start would definitely contribute to enrich our school lives.


We have 2 days remaining. Although I occasionally feel unconfident about my school life, the orientation programs surly help me to be confident.

I feel like I witnessed some part of the secrets of my university’s cycle of success.

0 件のコメント: